Thursday, October 14, 2010

Update with a TWIST

Many of you have heard through the grape vine or phone tree or facebook that my surgery was a success! Thank you so much for everyone who visited, prayed, sent flowers or cards, walked the walk or just sent good vibes my way! It WORKED! 

My surgery was scheduled outside normal hours for both of my surgeons so there were lots of extra perks that helped keep me comfortable and relaxed before the mastectomy and reconstruction. I was one of the lucky few who got to have all of my family and friends in with me for pre-op and post-op. Dr. Hernandez did excellent work with the double mastectomy and there was no cancer found in my lymph nodes. Dr. Finkel was able to complete reconstruction to both breasts. Both surgeries were completed quickly and efficiently. Good-bye cancer! 

I was hospitalized overnight for observation and all of the staff were amazing! Everyone was impressed with how well I was recuperating (to pat myself on the back one last time) and were excited to see me up and moving the first day. I was released early Sunday morning and have been recuperating with the help of friends, family and a little pain medication. My mom has been amazing. She has been cleaning,  making sure that I follow doctors orders and giving me lots of LOVE. Luckily Mike, Millie and Lynne have dropped off food because sadly, cooking is not a skill she excels at. Brandon has been a rock and has been putting up with my mom and me and all of our repeat stories. I think he misses watching football with Geoff but Geoff will be back this weekend. 

I have been having a slight allergic reaction to one of my medications which is causing a rash. As we know, everything happens for a reason so when I went to see Dr. Finkel on Monday to check on the rash she removed my drainage bags...early! She also changed my medication and we are waiting to see if there are any changes to the rash. 

I have been waiting to update the blog because I had an appointment scheduled today with my oncologist. Unfortunately, he hasn't received my full pathology work up from my surgery so we can't talk turkey. I will see him next Friday to find out what chemotherapy drugs I will be receiving and when we will begin treatment. But don't worry there is still a ton to be done before then. I will have a heart test done to see if I'm strong enough for chemo (which we all know I am), a petscan to make sure that the cancer didn't spread outside of the breast, a follow up with Dr. Finkel and an appointment with a fertility doctor to see if I can hide away some eggs/embryos for a rainy day (chemotherapy can cause infertility and I know I want and WILL have a family someday).

So keep me in your thoughts and prayers because it's working so far! I appreciate everything and wish that I could get back to every email, post, text, card or call because I LOVE you all SO much! Thank You!






9 comments:

  1. Thank you Misty for the update... I will certainly be lifting you up in prayers along with many others in different parts of the country.... I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news!!!! We all knew it would go well and that you would be doing great!!! Keep up the good work and thanks for your updates!! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers always!!

    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting for a update!! :) We're always thinking and talking about you at school! Let us know if we can help in anyway! We'd love to come see you if you're up for visitors! I can't imagine what you're going through! I'm so glad that things are going well thus far! You are awesome!! You're in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! Can't wait to see you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad things are headed in the right direction! I think about you every night when I say Jake's prayers with him because we always say one for you (because God always listens to the prayers of littler children)! Keep kicking the C's butt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear things are going good. You are in my prayers every day and in my thoughts throughout the day. We miss you lots. Colton asked me today if you were going to be back tommrow, I said no not for awhile. He said oh....I miss her. I think he has a crush on you. Stay strong and stay positive! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear it all went well lady!! I miss you and I think about you every day. You've already went a long way to kick cancer's ass. Stay strong and keep your head held high. You're gonna be better in no time. I know it. Oh, and I can't wait to see the new boobies. I love Boobies!! [I need one of those shirts!!]

    Love you! E

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Misty,

    You are in our prayers! If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. It is so great that you are such a positive and strong young lady! We are so happy your surgery was a success and that you have started your recovery!

    Love,

    Dennis and Kathy

    ReplyDelete